Sunday, January 30, 2005

New Frontier

Today was yet another travel-filled day. It's hard because I love to travel and see new things, but at the same time, it's tiring to keep going and to be living out of a bag. So, today I got up around 7:30, showered and stuff, then had a good quiet time for about 40 minutes, until Liz met me for breakfast a little before 9. Had bread and water and coffee again for the third straight day. :P After breakfast, we made a hasty decision to catch a train for Bern an hour ahead of originally planned. So, we just about ran with all our bags down to the station to make the train just in time, and we got there worn out and out of breath. But then, of all the luck, the train got cancelled and we had to go on another transfer train, which was 15 minutes later and pretty much nullified the reward of our hard walk. :-/ Oh well, the train ride to Bern went well from then on. We got into the city a bit before 11:30 and then went to look around. Bern is the capital city of Switzerland and it was really cool. It was like Lucern in that it has a very unique style to it, but not the same style of Lucern. The buildings were very, very neat and had a sort of renaissance style to them, I thought. I was a big fan of the architecture in Bern. :) We got to see the main city center and government capitol building, which was beautiful. Then walked across a big bridge and found this random museum and decided to go in and see what there was to see. Ended up that there was a free-food something going on, so we got to have really good bread, amazing cheese and some wine for lunch for free. I was stoked. I still have no clue what it was all about, because everything was in German, but I got food, so I was a happy camper! :D After that, we went back over the bridge to the old section of town and went inside the very old cathedral that was there. We walked up to the very top up it, up a ton of spiral stairs. It was easily a good 300-400 stairs in total, just spinning and spinning around. I don't think my legs will ever fully recover from that climb! :P Got to the top and it was really neat. Could see the entire city of Bern and stuff surrounding it very well. Good stuff. :) Then went inside the church briefly and looked around. It was very cool on the inside also and there was like the largest organ I've ever seen, hehe. :) That was the last thing we did in Bern, before booking it back to the train station to catch the train back home at 2. It was a 4 hour train ride back to Lugano which was largely uneventful. Got some nappage in, which was good. :) From Lugano, got back to Riva around 6:50, just in time for a big warm dinner at 7. I was stoked to get some food besides bread and water!! :D After dinner, I've just been catching up on emails and typing all these blogs and such. I'm really tired, so I think I'll be going to bed in just a little while hopefully. :)

No comments: